In the state of Massachusetts, you have the RIGHT TO CHOOSE who repairs your vehicle.
“(c) Contact with Claimant and Selection of Repair Shop. No staff or independent, appraiser, insurer, representative of insurer, or employer of an independent appraiser shall refer the claimant to or away from any specific repair shop or require that repairs be made by a specific repair shop or individual.”
The Commonwealth of MA Regulation 212 2.0.4
In short, your insurance carrier cannot dictate who repairs your vehicle; you have the right to choose.
- If your vehicle unsafe to drive after a collision, you have the right to choose the location in which your vehicle is towed to.
- Prior to beginning repairs, you must inform your insurance company.
- An insurance company may tell you that you are required to go to one of their drive-in claims center; however, it is your right to opposed this decision and have your vehicle inspected at your auto body shop of choice. This is extremely beneficial to you so the auto body shop can properly appraise and represent you and your vehicle’s damage.
- Multiple appraisals are unnecessary.
- Your insurance company indemnifies (compensate for repairs) your vehicle and is required to return it to pre-loss condition.
- You have the right to have your insurance carrier pay your auto body shop directly so you are not burdened with an additional step in the repair process.
- Your insurance company must negotiate in good faith with the auto body shop of your choice.